Friday, April 3, 2009

It's All Greek To Me


What to do when there's nothing to do? Learn a foreign language, of course. This idea had been in my head for a few months, and after the Florida trip (and subsequent boredom), I decided to request materials from the library to embark on broadening my horizons of international studies. After all, I'd had a 4.0 in my minor, French. How hard could another language be?

Picking up my materials from the library, I popped the tape from "Listen and Learn Greek" into the cassette player. How serendipitous, I thought, that I should have my truck since it has a tape player and my car does not.

Heading toward the work-out facility, I had to rewind the tape to the beginning. This took so long, I arrived at my destination before I could get started. This is a frequent problem in Ada, by the way. So post-workout, I was fresh and eager to listen (and learn).

The male voice read the english, with the female voicing the Greek translation. Please use your imaginations.

"Hello" "Yah-sahs"
"Good morning" "kali-mera"

so far so good, right? It went on with such basics as:
"Good afternoon," "Good evening" and "I'll see you later."

Then:
"I wish to make an appointment with Mr. Zolotas."

What? I had no idea what that Greek woman said. I nearly drove off the road. Eight phrases in and I was floundering. Plus, I hadn't yet made it to Main Street. What should I do? What would the library women think if I returned the books (and tape) so soon? Probably not, "Wow, that girl sure is a fast learner."

And who is Mr. Zolotas? Why do newcomers to Greece need to make an appointment with him so soon upon their arrival?

2 comments: